Arbusto Goes to the Movies

Monday, July 10, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

This movie was highly disappointing. It's sad that it took in so much money over the weekend and beat Spiderman's record.

The first Pirates: fantastic! It was witty, clever, good action, acting and plot.

This pirates movie: blows. I was totally let down by everytyhing. A kid on the radio summed it up as "Funny and dumb."

My problems in the movie
1. It was far too long. The scene where Depp is ruler of the people was completely pointless. Could have been cut.
2. Not nearly as clever and funny. It was as if they were trying too hard to recreate the magic of the first one. For example, Depp's big roundabout descriptions were too much. They were out of place. No witty banter. Ugh. Complete lack of fun this time around.
3. Too much focus on special effects. The characters they created were fantastic and amazing and looked really good but I'd rather have good plot. Put more money into writing.
4. Too many thick accents. I had no idea what many people were saying.
5. I had no idea what was going on. Ever. Too many things were going on that didn't make any sense and too many people kept randomly popping up without explanation. No wonder the movie was too long. It was too long and I still don't know what was going on!
6. The end. It just ends. Bah. Had there been a bit more closure, things may not have been so bad but I left with a bad feeling on that too.
7. Orlando Bloom. Can he play any other characters? Can he act? I don't think he can anymore. He better hope for more Lord of the Rings movies somehow. Spin offs for the elves.

What did I like:
Depp still plays a great character. The character is fun even if written poorly. You know the potential for good humor is there.
The effects were great and the new creatures were awesome to see. They were fun to watch.
There were some funny parts. Not al lthat many but there were.
I think somewhere in there if you can cut off some of the excess there may be an interesting plot. I want to see what happens with it.
I do like the semi-surprise at the ending.

I know there's a sequel scheduled for release next May and I'll probably see it just so the story is complete. But I don't recommend seeing this one so you're not angry you have to waste more money to see the next one.

2 of 5.

1 Comments:

  • This sequel sort of reminds me of how I felt watching Bad Boys 2. Just too much over the top, with stuff that didn't need to be in the movie.

    I've also wondered if Bloom can really act. It'll be hard on him if he's typecast as the elf guy, since they're not exactly always present as roles. I tried to watch Elizabethtown, and just couldn't make it all the way through. It was just too heinous.

    By Blogger hufflepuffer, at 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home